Laura Alonso Vigo
I am a language enthusiast: I’ve studied languages in college and on my own, I’ve learnt how to correct, analyse and teach Spanish, and still I aim to keep on learning every day. After finishing my studies English and Spanish languages I chose to take a master’s degree in Applied Linguistics because I knew it would help me understanding the uses and purposes of the languages, as well as how to edit and improve texts, which I really enjoy doing.
- Strong organisation and planning skills (time managing, task scheduling, syllabus).
- Great communication and ability to empathise.
- Attention to detail
- Certified DELE Examiner (A2/B1) by the Instituto Cervantes Dublin.
- Proficient use of Windows OS (including MS Office), Google Suite and iWork.
- Knowledge of SWI Prolog, ELAN, FreeLing and GT Toolkit.
- Spanish and Galician languages speaker (mother tongues).
- English language professional (advanced).
Examiner, State Exams Commission (Limerick, Ireland)
- July 2019
- Marking of Junior Certificate exam papers.
Spanish language assistant teacher, Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh (Limerick, Ireland)
- September 2018 – May 2019
- Helping Junior and Senior cycle students improving their communicative skills in Spanish through oral activities and one-to-one chats.
- Special attention paid to the Junior and Leaving certificates’ oral exams.
Corrector, DEBExams & Examcraft Groups (Limerick, Ireland)
- February 2019 – April 2019
- Correction of mock exams for both Junior and Leaving Certificate.
- Preparation of reports for school teachers.
Mentor of students with language difficulties, University of A Coruña (Spain)
- October 2017 – June 2018
- Assisting foreign students when they found trouble in accomplishing tasks due to language or cultural barriers.
Department of communications, Oxfam Intermón (A Coruña, Spain)
- February 2018 – June 2018 (MA Applied Linguistics work placement)
- Adaptation of NGO reports to different types of target readers so the information could be spread around Galicia in the shape of leaflets, advertisements, etc.
Proof-reader, La Opinión de A Coruña (A Coruña, Spain)
- June 2017 – September 2017 (BA Spanish work placement)
- Review of journalistic texts prior to their publication. Detection of grammar and spelling mistakes, as well as improvement of the discourse quality .
M.A. Applied Linguistics, professional communication and computer linguistics, University of A Coruña (Spain)
- 2017 – 2018
- Focus on specialised languages and lexicography
- Grade: first class honours (88%)
B.A. Spanish, University of A Coruña (Spain)
- 2016 – 2018
- Focus on Spanish as foreign language
- Dissertation pending (provisional grade: first class honours, 74%)
International Double B.A. English, University of A Coruña (Spain) and University of South Wales (Wales, United Kingdom)
- 2013 – 2017
- Focus on Irish literature and sociolinguistics
- Grade: first class honours (76%)
Organization and management of the Spanish as foreign language lecture, class driving and dynamics, Instituto Cervantes & University of A Coruña course (Spain)