Mercy University Hospital, Cork
Staff Grade Pharmaceutical Technician (Panel)
(Fixed Term, Part Time .8 WTE )
Responsibilities – The post holder will be responsible for;
- A high degree of flexibility is required and subject to the needs of the Pharmacy Department, the post holder must be available to train in and work in different roles within the Pharmacy Department.
- The post holder must maintain throughout the hospital, an awareness of the primacy of the patient in relation to all hospital activities.
- The post holder must demonstrate behaviour consistent with the values of the MUH
- To participate in the pharmaceutical service as part of a professional, punctual and dedicated team.
- Will help to create, promote and maintain open communications and healthy working relationships.
- To maintain the principles of equity, accountability and quality of service in daily work.
- To participate in the activities and duties set down for senior and basic grade technicians as requested by the Pharmacy Manager.
- To perform such other duties appropriate to the post as may be assigned from time to time.
- To rotate into other parts of the Pharmacy Department where required by service needs.
- To participate in the preparation and maintenance of policies and protocols.
- To assist in audit of these protocols to ensure best practice is being observed at all times.
- To attend continuing education courses as deemed advisable / necessary by the Chief Pharmacist or departmental head in consultations with the Personnel Officer.
- To assist Senior tech draw up duty and annual leave rosters for Pharmaceutical Technicians.
- To liaise with management and staff in matters of departmental procedure or as and when problems arise;
- To make recommendations to the Supervisor as to how methods and procedures can be improved;
- To advise the supervisor of malfunctioning or unsafe equipment in the pharmacy;
- To ensure that work is carried out in a safe manner in accordance with the provisions of legislation.
(a) Eligible applicants will be those who on the closing date for the competition:
(i) Possess the Pharmaceutical Technicians Diploma awarded by the University of Dublin.
(ii) Possess a Pharmacy Technicians qualification at QQI Level 6 awarded by the Dublin Institute of Technology, Athlone Institute of Technology, Letterkenny Institute of Technology or Carlow Institute of Technology.
(iii) Possess the Pharmacy Services Certificate (NVQ 3) offered by the Irish Pharmaceutical Union.
(iv) Are currently employed as a Pharmacy Technician in the publicly funded
(v) Possess a relevant qualification at least equivalent to (ii) or (iii) above.
(b) Candidates must possess the requisite knowledge and ability, (including a high
standard of suitability, professional knowledge and ability), for the proper discharge
of the duties of the office.
Closing date for applications is 1pm 9th November 2023
The MUH reserve the right to create a panel for this post from which permanent, fixed term and specified purpose vacancies of a full or part time duration may be filled.