Head of Semiconductor Process & Product Development, Tyndall National Institute, Cork
Tyndall National Institute
Tyndall National Institute is a leading European research centre in integrated ICT (Information and Communications Technology) hardware and systems. Specialising in both electronics and photonics – materials, devices, circuits and systems – we are globally leading in our core research areas of:
- Semiconductor wafer fabrication
- Nano materials and device processing
- Smart sensors and systems
- Optical communication systems
- Mixed signal and analog circuit design
- Microelectronic and photonic integration
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork has an established wafer fabrication facility which, for many years, has been developing a broad range of semiconductor devices for CMOS, MEMS and III/V optoelectronic applications.
The Process & Product Development group (P&PD) sits within the Speciality Products and Services centre in Tyndall, and is responsible for the cleanrooms and for the delivery of processes and research devices for researchers as well as supporting commercial fabrication contracts. The team works on both 200mm (8 inch) and 100mm (4 inch) wafer diameters as well as coupons for the III/V semiconductor area.
We now wish to hire a Head of Group to lead the P&PD activities. In this senior positon, you will have the opportunity to define and develop the future direction of the fabrication facilities within Tyndall to better service the needs and aspirations of the researchers. You will lead and manage a team of 18 people to ensure delivery of leading edge materials and devices for advanced research programs.
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Head of Specialty Products and Services the purpose of this role is to manage all aspects of staff, budget, planning, process development, customer management and execution of work related to the silicon, MEMS, III/V, ebeam and training fab laboratory / fabrication areas.
- In conjunction with the Head of Centre, define and implement Tyndall’s strategy for optimized performance of the Process & Product Development group (P&PD) and the cleanroom facilities.
- In conjunction with the HoC and research PIs, undertake regular equipment obsolescence reviews and ensure a capital replacement strategy is proposed/implemented in a timely manner that aligns with Tyndall’s evolving technical strategy.
- Lead technical problem solving and process troubleshooting
- Provide operation leadership to P&PD teams.
- Efficient management and supervision of all P&PD staff, including training and development, and ensuring that performance management reviews are undertaken as appropriate.
- Promotion of a safety conscious culture within the P&PD laboratories and staff and ensure implementation & monitoring through designated personnel
- Development of a continuous improvement culture within the P&PD teams
- In conjunction with Business Development staff, play an active role in the pursuit of new commercial leads for P&PD.
- In conjunction with the HoC, sourcing of the funding required to support team staff & P&PD facilities. Preparation of research project (EU, ESA, EI) proposals, commercial tenders & service task quotations. Supporting colleagues (Tyndall research project leaders) on proposals for major research and/or consultancy projects nationally & internationally.
- Support management of research contracts (EU, EI, ESA, etc.), commercial projects & internal support services – including: costing, scheduling, resource assignment, budget management, progress reporting & delivery to deadlines.
- Proactive relationship management of key P&PD clients.
- Balance utilisation of P&PD assets between research obligations and commercial opportunities.
- Ensuring all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system and proactively support improvements to the QMS.
- Liaising with the Equipment Maintenance manager on any related issues with the key objective of minimising equipment downtime.
- Liaising with Facilities Manager on all issues relating to cleanroom services to ensure that fabrication needs are met
- Taking on additional tasks from time-to-time to support Head of Centre in meeting the goals & targets of the group.
- Relevant experience as a team leader or manager in a semiconductor environment
- Typically 10+ years’ experience in a research management or technical management role
- Demonstrated ability in working with fabrication teams and customers to translate requests into a suitable format from which actual process flows for silicon CMOS, silicon MEMS, Compound semiconductor and Ebeam fabrication are extracted
- Experience in estimating costs for fabrication projects for quotation and proposal generation
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to think strategically and to identify & pursue opportunities for business expansion& funding
- Ability to build relationships when working with different teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage different tasks and the related disparate teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional in all interactions with contractors/vendors/customers
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to lead / facilitate process and system improvement projects
- Flexibility and adaptability in continuously changing technical and business environment
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and technical skills.
- Ideally a PhD in relevant engineering/scientific discipline or similar research/industrial experience
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Graeme Maxwell at [email protected]
Appointment may be made on the Senior Admin IV Scale B €90,360- €108,621 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
For an information package including full details of the post, selection criteria and application process click here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.