Sheridans Cheesemongers, Cork
We need people who can sell great cheese, people who can make the connection between the producers of this food and the people who will be consuming it.
This involves telling stories, tasting the food, and sharing knowledge and experience.
Working for Sheridans Cheesemongers is an opportunity to gain skill, and deep knowledge of Irish and European food production and culture.
The candidate must have a passion for food, and a willingness to learn. They must enjoy conversation, and understand the importance of working with and promoting artisan food products.
JOB TITLE: Cheesemonger (fixed-term, part-time)
Location: Cork Counter, Bishopstown Court
1.Scope of Position
The Cheesemonger is responsible for cheese, food, and non-food item sales at the counter and concession walls.
The Cheesemonger is charged with caring for cheese to ensure it is sold in its best condition and ensuring the Cheesemonger has thorough knowledge of all products and services that the concession offers, including the product’s story, how the product pairs with other products and the ability to explain flavours.
The Cheesemonger will also be responsible for cleaning the counters, storage areas and fridges.
The Cheesemonger is charged with providing customer service and making sales in a sometimes fast-paced environment, for maintaining Sheridans Cheesemongers’ high standard of personal, exemplary customer service and unique approach to offering local food, producers and culture.
- Learn about, and educate customers about, Sheridans Cheesemongers products and services.
- Learn about, and educate customers about, Irish & European artisan cheese and food producers.
- Learn about all current products in range and be familiar with dairy, deli, ambient categories.
- Work in a fast-paced, sometimes crowded, sales environment with tact and patience.
- Customer focused, customer facing position and always on hand to assist customers with queries or service.
- Be familiar with, and assist customers with use of, the Sheridans website.
- Receive product deliveries and organize their storage in their designated areas.
- Describe tastes, flavours, textures of, and pairings with, cheese and other foods.
- Maintain/care for cheese in top condition in refrigerated and non-refrigerated environments; assist with reducing product waste.
- Merchandise/arrange/display cheese, and other items in the retail space.
- Learn/maintain food safety standards required of a safety-inspected food environment
- Record and maintenance of HACCP documents.
- Working knowledge of allergens and ability to navigate Allergen Book.
- Prepare and display cheese as instructed by team Leaders or managers.
- Maintain cheese signs and displays throughout the day.
- Display beautiful, festive food hampers.
- Work with team to ensure products are sold well before their expiration date; stock rotation; FODL etc.
- Report any issues with product, customers, or otherwise to Team Leaders or Retail Managers.
- Read, update, and maintain daily handover book.
- Participate in quarterly stocktaking of inventory.
- Daily maintenance of the counter: keep displays full; date rotation; help control stock levels.
- Collect and remove rubbish and recycling from the around the counter floor when needed.
- Other ad hoc duties & responsibilities as needed as directed by Team Leader and/or Retail Managers.
Reporting to: Team Leader and Retail Manager
Working with: Cheesemongers and Team Leader(s)
- 1 years’ experience in a similar role desirable but not essential.
- At least 1 year working in similar retail setting or company to Sheridans preferable;
- Excellent knowledge of Irish and European farmhouse cheese;
- HACCP trained or awareness of HACCP/Food Safety in Retail;
- Interest in cheese, and other local, artisan foods;
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently;
- Conversation and listening skills;
- Outgoing, cheerful, friendly personality;
- Passion for great customer service;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills;
- Organised and calm under pressure;
- Available weekendsto support business needs.