DOWN SYNDROME IRELAND, Cork
Down Syndrome Ireland (DSI) is the national charity for people with Down syndrome and their families in Ireland, supporting over 3,500 members across 25 branches nationwide. We are working to achieve an optimal quality of life for people with Down syndrome, as equally valued, independent citizens.
Down Syndrome Cork is recruiting for a Shop Manager to help manage and develop its charity shop in Merchants Quay Shopping Centre, Cork. Our shop, located in Cork city stocks high quality homeware, books, DVDs and a selection of clothes and accessories while also functioning as a retail training environment for our members with Down Syndrome. The ideal candidate will have the ability to drive sales and achieve income targets, as well as recruit, train, manage and motivate a team of volunteer staff, many of whom are parents or family of our members with Down Syndrome. Working closely with our on-site employee support specialist, the shop manager will have oversight for our retail training programme for adults with Down Syndrome. Relevant experience in retail and excellent customer service skills, along with the ability to work under pressure and prioritise a varied workload are essential attributes for the role.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively manage all day-to-day aspects of the charity shop including staffing, customer service, stock and inventory, finances, promotion, security, health & safety
- Actively source, recruit, train, manage and motive a diverse team of volunteer staff
- Ensure the appearance of the shop internally and externally represents Down Syndrome Cork in our community and provides a positive, welcoming and attractive experience for customers and staff
- Manage storage and organisation of our stock working closely with our volunteer team, including forward planning and scheduling to ensure consistent opening hours and shift planning
- Drive efficiencies through effective delegation, training and communication within volunteer team
- Financial responsibility to ensure that cash handling procedures, till receipts procedures, banking procedures and weekly sales reporting are always adhered to.
- Any other duties as designated by the Head of Services, Committee and National Office.
Person Specification / Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience in a similar retail managerial role is essential
- Strong people skills with a proven ability to lead, communicate and motivate in a diverse environment
- Ability to delegate and drive efficiencies within a dedicated team of volunteers
- Experience using Microsoft Office, File Sharing (Online) and Social Media platforms
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Flexibility in working hours and duties – the role involves occasional out of hours work
- Some experience working with disability an advantage
This is a permanent role, with a 20-hour flexible week
The Shop Manager role will be primarily based in Down Syndrome Ireland’s- Cork Branch charity shop in Merchant Quay Shopping Centre. On occasion the role will require the attendance at meetings and training in Down Syndrome Cork Branch.
Informal Queries in relation to the position – Amanda Cooper, Head of Services, [email protected]
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: From €13.50 per hour
- Bike to work scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Sick pay
Work Location: In person
Reference ID: Cork Shop